AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

WHY I STRAINED MY CALF AND HOW I'LL REHAB IT PART 2


Earlier this week I posted about my strained calf last weekend and how I was rehabbing it in the hope of playing this weekend.

Usually a near 40 year old dong a calf strain spells disaster but not this old man!

I finished up my last post at mid Tuesday and here's what I've done since.

TUESDAY

- I did 2 rounds of 20mins on the EMS machine while I was doing my last post actually
- Applied some heat cream to my calf
- Went down to the Strand here in Newport/Willy Town and did some easy change of direction cone drills with drills like run into backpedal, side to side shuffle, diagonal change of direction cone run, lateral change of direction cone run etc.
- I could still feel the calf during this which felt like a 3 day old corkie more then anything
- A kick of the footy with Archie

WEDNESDAY

- I did another 2 rounds of 20mins EMS machine on my calf
- Did an upper body workout as planned

THURSDAY

- Today was fitness test day where if I couldn't run, I'd rule myself out immediately
- Again I headed down to the Strand and did the following workout:

* Be Activated Reset
* A and B Skip Sprint Mechanic Drills
* 2 x 10m Sprints from standing, jump back, block and footy start
* 2 x 2 laps of jog/sprint/trail off laps which specifically was 30m lead in, 30m max sprint, 30m trail off into 50m walk x 2 = 1 lap...I did 2 continuous laps, rested 2 - 3mins then repeated it

- The calf felt fine besides the residual "corkie" type pain
- The thing that literally determines if I play or not is how it pulls up tomorrow and I'd rather re-injure today then Saturday to be honest
- I can get to, or very close to, 100% on my tippy toe range of motion which is crucial for anything involving running and jumping and I also did some running 1 legged jumps to test take off and landings which were also fine.

FRIDAY

- I'll do another upper body workout and maybe some lower body power work in the gym to potentiate for Saturday - even if I don't play

No comments:

Post a Comment