AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Block Training for Easter

With the Easter weekend being free of footy for everyone (I'm pretty sure) you've got the chance to do something a little radical that can yield pretty dramatic improvements. 

Without the need to be fresh for Saturday and possibly a night off training this week, you have a short window to train the single biggest weakness you have.


Whether it's speed, strength or anaerobic or aerobic capacity - this might be the chance you get this year to give it a concentrated effort.


As work prevents me from training at all with my team, I must do all my fitness work on my own which with all the rain last week and a shoulder injury the week before hasn't really happened since the season started.

So for the next 10 days or so I'll be doing my 3rd repeat speed block this year! I've set it up so I can do 1 session inside and the other outside so the weather won't make me miss any sessions. If I have to do 2 outside sessions in a row then no big deal, there's no footy this weekend.

I'll still be training other stuff as well and each day will involve training for stiffness, acceleration and repeat speed.

Here's what my next 10 days will look like:

Monday - Skipping (stiffness), Cable Resisted 5m Sprints (acceleration), 10 x 15m up and back every 30secs + 10 x 10m every 10secs (repeat speed).

Tuesday - Line Jumps, Prone to Push Up into 10m Sprint, 6 x 40m every 30secs 6 x 20m every 20secs.

Wednesday - Lateral Line Jumps, Cable Resisted 5m Sprints, 11 x 15m up and back every 30secs + 11 x 10m every 10secs.

Thursday - Low Squat Sprint, MB Throw into 10m Sprint, 7 x 40m every 30secs + 7 x 20m every 20secs.

Friday - Wideouts, Cable Resisted 5m Sprints, 12 x 15m up and back every 30secs + 12 x 10m every 10secs.

Saturday - Ankle Jumps, Backpedal to 10m Sprint, 8 x 40m every 30secs + 8 x 20m every 20secs.

Sunday - Alternate Split Squat Toe Jumps, Cable Resisted 5m Sprints, 13 x 15m up and back every 30secs + 13 x 10m every 10secs.

Monday - Low Box On / Off Jumps, Bound to 10m Sprint, 9 x 40m every 30secs + 9 x 20m every 20secs.

Tuesday - Low Depth Jump, Cable Resisted 5m Sprints, 14 x 15m up and back every 30secs + 14 x 10m every 10secs.

Wednesday - Low Box On / Off Wideouts, 3 Point + Standing Stance 10m Sprints, 10 x 40m every 30secs + 10 x 20m every 20secs.

I'll have Thursday and Friday off running and be good to go the Saturday.

For this week coming my gym schedule, which is not concentrated, will be:

Mon - Trap Bar Deadlift work up to 135kgs x 1 (progression from last block), Floor Bench Press x 6 reps to see how the shoulder is going, Single Arm Chest Supported Rows 6 x 5 @ 25kgs (left arm x 5, right arm x 5 all in a row for 6 sets each), core.

Wed - Bottom Position Reactive Back Squat, Floor Bench Press x 4 reps, Supine Barbell Chest Supported Row 4 x 15, core.

Fri - Bottom Position Reactive Split Squat on Toes, Floor Press x 2 reps, Stability into Deadstop DB Row 3 x 5/5, core.

I'll see how things are going with all the running stuff and shoulder before making up the next week's gym stuff but I don't think it should be too different.

So let me know via Facebook what your biggest weakness is and we'll make it a strong point in the next 10 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment