AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Friday, September 27, 2013

Block 2 Down, 1 To Go and Setting Up Training Blocks


Today marks 2/3rds of the way through my 42 day program.

The last 2 weeks have a bit of a battle with a bout of full body shutdown a week ago and grand final day tomorrow resulting in having to have to cram a lot more training into not many days. This week I've actually crammed 7 or 8 days into 5 so everyday I've lifted and sprinted without a drop in volume but some slight decreases in intensity where needed.

Week 3 I felt pretty quick during my sprints with week 4 not being as good but that's probably because of the higher training load and no rest days in week 4 as well as still recovering from sickness and a big night out late last week and weekend.

In the last 2 weeks there is a scattered ending to the various qualities I'm training. Hip thrusts are only a 30 day program so they'll finish early next week. I might cut the back squats program back to 35 days so I can retest late in the program during days 39 - 42.

The main focus is sprinting speed so all these directly related to sprinting will continue to be trained everyday such as foot/ankle complex, relaxation/stiffness, bounding and obviously sprinting.

Thinking about it in the car before, I've read up a fair bit of block training in the last 12 months or so. 1 article I read that I can't remember where it was from (I cut and paste stuff then read it weeks sometimes later!) prescribed blocks to last for 2 - 3 weeks max then you move to something else before swinging back again.

After the feeling of "peaking" during week 3 I will just about put this in stone going forward.

So it might look like this:

Block 1 x 2 Weeks

Performance Goal - Speed
Maintenance Goal - Strength

Training Frequency - 4 times a week

Session 1 - Speed
Session 2 - Speed
Session 3 - Strength
Session 4 - Speed

Block 2 x 2 weeks

Performance Goal 1 - Strength
Maintenance Goal - Speed

Training Frequency - 4 times a week

Session 1 - Strength
Session 2 - Strength
Session 3 - Speed
Session 4 - Strength

Repeat Block 1 and so on.

This is a very general look at block training but if go this route at some stage during the pre-season I'll definitely post it up.

And the Dockers by 9 points tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment