AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Training Program for the Rest of the Season

This year I am playing for South Yarra in the Southern Football League as I posted here. For a quick recap of the season we started out 0-4 and since have won 8 in a row including 3 the top 4 teams for the first half of the season.

Next week is the ultimate test as we take on the undefeated top side although we have pretty much consolidated our place in the top 4 as of now.

We have 6 games to go and also a bye so 7 weeks until finals time. Up until now my training has been a little sporadic following a basic plan but nothing concrete but I get the best benefits with a structure in place so here's what I have come up with.

My main goals is to get my strength back up to the levels of earlier this year or close to, I have cut back a lot on my back work for no reason really, which has affected my bench press a lot and with my huge squat focus in the last 3 months or so haven't, feels like I haven't deadlifted this year. I will also be continuing my 2 running sessions a week which consist of 3/4 pace goal to goal type runs at Toorak Park 2/week.

Strength wise I will follow a 3-2-1 format which looks like this:

Week 1 - work up to a 3 rep max but stay 3 reps away from actual max weight

Week 2 - work up to a 2 rep max but stay 2 reps away from actual max weight

Week 3 - work up to a 1 rep max but stay 1 rep away from actual max weight

Week 4 - deload of start again depending on how I feel

I will also be using some complex training where I pair my strength sets with an explosive exercise to cut back on time.

Monday

Back Squat x 3-2-1 paired with Depth Jumps x 3
Heavy Prowler Drag paired with 10m Sprint x 5-4-3 sets

Tuesday
Military Press x 3-2-1 paired with Medicine Ball Toss x 10
Pull Up x 5-4-3 sets paired with Chest Supported Row x 4 sets

Thursday

Deadlift x 3-2-1 paired with Standing Long Jumps x 3
Low Handle Prowler Push paired with 10m Sprint x 5-4-3 sets

Friday
Bench Press x 3-2-1 paired with Rebound Bench Press x 10
Chin Up x 5-4-3 sets paired with Seated Cable Row x 4 sets


If you have any questions on what you can do to get ready foe the finals then please leave a comment or email and remember, you can't do the nothing in the week leading up to a game to get better, but you can do a lot of things to get worse.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr Lange,

    I have been doing the same excercises since the beginning of pre-season, started high reps then middle reps for about 4 weeks each, then low reps for about 3 months and back to high reps in last few weeks before season. Since the season started its been low reps 2 sessions a week. The whole time I have been doing 3 sets.
    I am 180cm, 78kg (hit 80kg in pre season)and train for football related strength. The anatomy of the mark and kick was great thanks Troy.
    My excercises and current levels are:
    Day 1: Back squat 90kg 5 reps into deadlift 100kg 3 reps. I then do a variety of core exercises per your video. I do calf raises with 12 reps on smith machine, leg extention and this hip/glute activation machine 12 reps but do not record my results/progress and do not push myself on these excercises.

    Day 2: DB Shoulder press 17.5 kg 5 reps, Bent over rows 50kg 12 reps, Bench press 65kg 5 reps, 'hammer' chin ups (7,5,4 lase session), a chest fly sort of thing for shoulders, starting at my hips and raising to a 'wingspan' position and an explosive 'CG' bench press using 20kg DBs 6 reps, on last set pushing out to failure but movements are no longer explosive. I finish with hammer curls 12.5kg 8 reps.

    I am however mindful of muscle memory so for the last 6 weeks of the season (we are on bottom of table so peaking for finals is a non-issue unfortanately) I am thinking of changing things up excercise wise as to hit the pre season with my original, and imo more footy specific excercises.

    Here is a programme I have put together. Please advise to muscles I am neglecting or muscles from my previous workouts that are now being neglected, or muscles that were being neglected but now are being introduced so I don't get a rude shock when I pull up sore!

    Day 1: Bent rows 5repsx3sets / standing bb military press 12repsx2set / chest flys 8reps x 3sets / skull crushers 3sets 10 reps / cable rows 3 sets 12 reps / bb reverse grip curls 3 sets 10 reps

    Day 2: BB lunge 4 sets 8 reps per leg / bb romanian deads / bb step ups 2 sets 6 reps but not to 100% potential / core utilising variety from your vids

    I know back/shoulders are trained heavier but this is designed as they are behind and the extra workload does not leave me sore.

    ReplyDelete