AUSSIE RULES TRAINING

AUSSIE RULES TRAINING & COACHING ARTICLES / PROGRAMS / DRILLS

TAKE YOUR FOOTY TO A LEVEL YOU NEVER KNEW YOU HAD

IT'S HERE!! aussierulestraining.com

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

21st Century Core Training Part 2

Remember the days of sit ups? Oh, the memories.

The once staple exercise for the 'abs" is outdated and in it's place has come a new wave of core training.

In the 90's it was found that the deep core muscles were the one's that we should focus on but as the years went by it went to far and ended up with idiots standing on swissballs on 1 leg doing a single arm shoulder press while holding their first born with the other.

There are more ways to skin a cat and there are many ways to train the core. Instead of training the core with specific exercises in mind, train the core with specific functions in mind.

As mentioned in my last post, the most important function of the core is to stabilise the lumbar spine and to stabilise is to keep rigid. Basic exercises for this include prone, push up and side hold variations.

Before producing movement you must be able to resist it so enter anti rotation exercises, or the ability resist rotation. Anti Rotation exercises teach the core to stabilise the spine irrespective of any rotation or transverse forces coming through it. Exercises for this include pallof press, landmine and cable chop variations.

A lot of reason why core training is so popular these days is because of the increasing amount of lower back pain in the general population and especially, athletes. There are numerous reasons for lower back pain which I will detail in a future post but an important one is lumbar hyperextension. A lot of athlete's postures and movement patterns reinforce anterior pelvic tilt of which lumbar lordosis is a result of.


We can actually train anti extension too using exercises such as overhead medicine ball slams and roll out variations where our arms come above our heads but we must be able to resist going into lumbar hyperextension by squeezing our core, squeezing out glutes and re-training our motor patterns to stay out of that harmful range of motion.

Tomorrow I will hopefully post my latest video which will basically a montage of various core exercise variations form a prone hold position, a push position, a side hold position as well as pallof press/cable variations, roll variations, swissball variations, deadbug variations and full body exercises that all train various core functions.

Stay tuned and please leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. I read your blog, it seems like you've read quite a bit of t-nation's latest articles, including Dan John's Mass Made Simple article. You should stop trying to pass this info off as your own and cite the sources. However, that was a good article and one that I actually followed with significant gains and anyone reading would do well to follow. I applaud your effort to make this training site, it just seems like there is no plan. I suggest you focus on off-season training followed by bridge work to in-season training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PDJ,
    Thanks for commenting mate.

    Yes, I am influenced by a host of t-nation writers as well as others. And as it turns out I am curently about to finish up the Mass Made Simple Program but I haven't posted anything about that program except that it was part of my new program, that was all.

    Throughout my "How Much Ya Bench?" series I cited various sources of the different bench press templates to use too. I don't reference everything I post but who does? And besides, I read so much I don't even know who writes what most of the time.

    As far as not having a plan? It's a blog. It's not meant to be planned is it? I write about what I think of at the time I do it unless it's a request like the warm up video was.

    I do appreciate the feedback though mate.

    Thanks Mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for responding. I was unclear about the citing and I just wanted to clear that up. I meant that you should post links to the full workouts and articles as those could offer a more detailed explanation for new readers. As for the plan, that was mostly a selfish hint towards where I am in my training. The season is looming here in the states (where I am) and I was hoping to get your opinion on pre-season training. I'm a novice at footy but not at training. I have a start on possible workouts, but your knowledge from oz would definitely be a supplement with some exercises that I may not have thought to include (like you youtube video which included a few warm-up motions that I made note of, and was great by the way) or specific drills that I don't know about. Anyway, didn't mean to come off as rude and I look forward to reading you future posts.

    Thanks,

    PDJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries mate.

    Can you give me a timeline of where you are now, when the season starts, do you do pre season training?, what have you done in the last 6 or so weeks training wise etc?

    Who do you play for over there?

    I'm hopefully putting a core training video up today or tomorrow.

    Any other requests then please send through.

    And please pass this site on to your footy mates.

    ReplyDelete